Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Information Ecologies

I have just finished reading two articles on Information ecologies, one by Felix Stalder and the other by Rafael Capurro. On finishing reading these I have reflected on some questions we have been asked and concluded:

1. I really don't thing the metaphor of an ecology will impact on the way I use the net. While it has certainly widened the perspecitve with which I can look at the internet, it will not change the way I use the net.

2. You can't have communication without information, just as you can't have new informaiton without communicaiton. Communicaiton is the process of sharing information, while the information is what is shared.... so without information there is nothining to communicate, and withougt communicaiton no new information can be shared.

3. We don't talk of a ‘communication ecology’ because..... we'll really I can't agree with this statement as I have just finished reading the words 'communicaiton ecology' in one of the above articles! So we do talk about an communicaiton ecology! I would say though that we talk about an information ecology more though, as an ecology is the whole system and the relationships withing that system, so information what is related, and communicaiton is how it is related.

No comments:

Post a Comment