Tuesday, May 26, 2009

P2P

I had never considered applicaitons such as SETI at home to be P2P, even though I was already aware of them. I had always previously considered P2P to be just file sharing, but have now widened my view to include any shared use of comuting resources (even prosessing power!).

Further to this reading the Mark Pesce discussion that claims piracy is good, really got me think about where P2P is heading and how it will change and impact a lot of non-computer aspects of society. I just wish I had read this prior to compleating the concepts assignment, as some of this would have been really useful when writing the concepts assignment!! Afterall the model of broadcast media discussed here shows a clear connection between the financial economy and the less quatifiable attention economy.

Reading the article by Henry Jenkins rang very true with me. I also find I'm buying more CD's when I am able to conncect (online or in real life) to others with similar tastes in music and have the opportunity to listen to some of their music. When this doen't happen, I don't tend to buy may CD's, as my taste in music is not usually played on commercial radio. Fortunately I have came across an online station, with an Australian version as well that plays some of what I like, so I'm now purchasing a lot more CD's again!

Overall I am now a lot more appreciateive of the wide varitey of P2P, along with the social and legal effects of file sharing. Mush of this I already had an awareness of, though the above readings along with others I have also viewed have widened my perceptions a lot in regards to P2P.

No comments:

Post a Comment