Sunday, March 15, 2009

...and so it continues

Finally, module 1 is finished... just 4 more and some assignments to go! Having finished the first module I thought it would be a good time to reflect on how I'm going in NET11.

Module 1
As mentioned already this is finally finished! Yay! I feel as if I learnt a lot about some of the more technical aspects of using networks during this module.

I took to using networks (and not just the internet) when the WWW was first becoming popular... I still remember winning a competition that got me a 48bps modem that was the fastest available at the time, and quickly hooking it up for use. I have been an avid daily internet user ever since and have always felt as if I understand the technology quite well.

During this first module I realised there is a lot going on 'beneath the surface' of the networks I use that I was not as fully aware of as I thought. This has given me an enthusiasm to continue through the rest of the modules to discover more hidden knowledge about using the internet and other networks.

Speed of Progress
Well this has been a bit hap hazard. I'm finding I tend to do a whole heap one day, then don't find time to even look at the course for several more days. I'm pretty much having one day on the weekend each week where I get most of the module and assignment work done and sometimes an evening or two during the week where I try and keep up with the ever growing discussion board posts.

Being at the end of the second week of the course and only having just finished module 1 I feel as if I'm progressing ok, but still not as fast as I would like. This feeling that I need to progress through the modules more quickly comes from having spent some time looking at the module requirements and the concepts assignment and thinking that it would be beneficial to finish the modules before doing the assignment.

The Concepts Assignment
I have finally had the time to read the concepts we can choose from a few times and digest what they are saying. Having done this there are still 10 concepts, from the Curtin NET11 concepts document, that stand out from the rest for me along with the reasons why.
  1. Your audience's use of communication - this one appeals to me as I often come across issues at work that link very strongly with this concept and would like to delve into how to be more effective with communication.
  2. Effective Internet communication combines technical and communicative competence - The idea that we need to understand how the communication works, to communicate effectively is one that I find intriguing.
  3. Nettiquette - another concept that links in strongly with issues at work and a concept I would like to better understand so I can more effectively tackle or cope with issues that arise due to poor nettiquette.
  4. The invisibility of difference - one that I can strongly relate to from personal experiences from both the human and technological perspective.
  5. Communication is not complete upon receipt - this concept is one that I had not previously given conscious thought to, yet I find very intriguing and appealing to consider further.
  6. The impact of text-based real-time chat - This is something that I have previously thought about over the last few years as the prevalence of the use of real-time chat (in my mind at least) has increased, and I would like to take these ponderings a lot further.
  7. Active communication generates identity awareness - having recently taken on the role as a forum admin, I became acutely aware of how many members were registered yet did not post, something that I have not been as aware of in the past when being a member only on forums.
  8. Public space and regulation - this concept discusses how public spaces work best when regulated, however excessive regulation is something I feel discourages creativity and innovation, so I would like to further consider how regulation is best imposed in a way that is beneficial without being too limiting.
  9. The paradox of the World Wide Web - the concept name says it all, unraveling a paradox is always an interesting challenge.
  10. Information and attention - this is interesting in a two fold manner, from that of someone seeking the attention of net users and also the perspective of the user having their attention sought.

Now of the fun bit of deciding which 4 I want to focus on for the assignment! I'm torn between selecting 4 that are related or 4 that are very different. Selecting related concepts would make it easier to focus the assignment and tie each section together, however selecting 4 disparate concepts would allow my research to cover a wider breadth of areas related to the internet.

I'm off to ponder the possibilities and catch up on the discussion board....

No comments:

Post a Comment